Unfortunately, most people really take their oral health for granted and do not stay on top of caring for their teeth and gums as vigilantly as they should. Poor oral hygiene and disease are closely linked together, so if you have been guilty of putting your dental care routine on the back burner every now and again, then you need to step up your game.
Most commonly poor oral hygiene is linked to disease of the teeth and gums. This may come along in the form of dental cavities, abscesses or gum disease. In order to avoid developing oral health problems, it is essential that you follow a few key steps.
Daily Oral Health Care
One of the most effective ways to maintain good oral health is by following a good dental hygiene routine daily.
This should include:
- Brushing your teeth for around two minutes after every meal
- Flossing your teeth at least once a day to remove the food particles that become stuck there
- Using a mouth rinse to flush away the left over bacteria, plaque and food particles.
As well as following this routine, you should pay particular attention to the products that you are using.
Most dentists recommend using an electric toothbrush with oscillating head as they are able to remove plaque and bacteria more efficiently. If you use a manual toothbrush, then be sure to choose one that has soft bristles. Hard bristles can damage sensitive gum tissue.
Dental tape is often preferred to dental floss, since the tape is a bit wider and tends to be gentler on the gums. The technique that you use is also important. Instead of pulling the floss from side to side along the gum tissue, you should shimmy it up and down along the surface of the tooth.
When choosing mouthwash, always select products that are alcohol free. Alcohol is an antiseptic, which is why it is often included oral mouth rinses, but it can affect the natural protection offered by your saliva and lead to bacteria breeding in your mouth more easily.
Always avoid products that contain sodium lauryl sulphate. This is a chemical compound that is used in many cleaning, hygiene and beauty products as a foaming agent. However, it can also cause damage to your teeth and gums and has been linked to making certain people more susceptible to oral health problems.
Advantages of Natural Dental Products
Many commercial dental health products available at your supermarket or pharmacy contain chemicals that can actually damage your teeth or gums. Instead of using such products many people are now opting to use natural products to maintain their oral health.
Botanical oils that include spearmint, peppermint, and almond can be quite effective in killing and controlling bacteria. It does not contain harmful chemicals such as sodium lauryl sulphate or alcohol.
Natural ingredients are preferred since it is hard to gauge the long-term risks of synthetic products. Natural ingredients are able to eradicate bacteria and plaque and leave your mouth feeling clean and fresh.
Overall Dental Care Practices
As well as brushing, flossing and rinsing daily, there are certain practices that you can incorporate in order to enjoy better dental health and overall well-being:
- Dentist visits – you should visit your dentist every six months for a check-up and overall clean. They will remove plaque and tartar build up on the teeth, which can cause disease and decay. They can also spot the early warning signs of oral health conditions before you are likely to notice them.
- Diet – try to cut down on processed foods and those that are high in sugar. Processed foods contain limited nutrition for your body. Therefore if you are eating many processed foods in place of fresh foods, then you will not receive all the vitamins and minerals that are needed for a healthy body. The bacteria that cause gum disease and cavities also feed on sugars, so reducing your sugar intake is also very important.
- Stress – stress places a lot of pressure on your body systems, particularly your immune system. When you experience high levels of stress, you are much more likely to develop gum disease and other health conditions. Finding effective ways to deal with and dissipate the stress in your life will result in elevated health and well-being.
- Smoking – smoking is very damaging to your oral health. It encourages bacterial growth, which leads to plaque and tartar taking hold of the teeth and gums and infection of the gum tissue. Smoking also limits your circulation, which affects the removal of toxins from your system. This means that when you do develop infections in your gum tissue, or elsewhere in your body, your body is less able to fight them off. The risks of smoking are not worth any perceived gain, socially or physically.
Poor oral hygiene has been directly linked to poor health of the teeth and gums. However, not looking after your oral health has also been linked to other health conditions. Some studies have shown a connection between poor oral health and heart disease.
As yet, it is not clear whether there is a direct causal effect or whether it is coincidental. It may be that the bacteria that cause plaque on the teeth and gums, may also damage your heart health. It is also possible that there is a coincidental effect – as in, those people who do not look after their teeth and gums may also neglect other areas of their health too.
Studies into the connection between oral hygiene and disease are on-going. While there may not yet be concrete proof of poor overall health and dental hygiene, it certainly pays to look after your teeth and gums. When you enjoy good oral health, you have a great smile, improved self-confidence and a better sense of well-being.
Find out more about how reduce your exposure to chronic disease by means of a natural oral care solution. Click below in order to discover a successful steps to a healthier you, with a smile!
Flossing is an essential step in your home oral health routine because brushing alone is not enough ...
So you want one of those sparkling tooth paste commercial smiles? To get a bright, white smile and t...
If you would like to be able to smile with confidence, eat what you like and avoid painful and costl...